Tuesday 14 March 2017

Autumn, Acorns and Hot Chocolate Recipe

What is your favourite season of the year? I honestly cannot decide. I think I love all four of them because each has something unique and special about it and without one I would not enjoy the rest. After a hot and sunny Summer I am embracing the Autumn with my open arms. I love the slight coolness of the morning air, heavy rains and grey skies, yellowing leaves dancing in the wind and chilly evenings. Autumn is always the time when I start craving hot chocolate. With both hands gently wrapped around a warm cup and savouring every sip of that delicious drink cozily snuggled up on a couch with a favourite book. That's the Autumn I love.


This Belle and Boo fabric is called "Woodland Walk" and is my absolutely favourite. The tiny details bring so many childhood memories of walks through bushland and parks in Autumn with my family and friends. Picking beautiful yellow leaves to bring home and arrange them in a vase, trying to find the perfect acorn or spotting toadstools. Oh, how nice! There is something magical about acorns, don't you think so? We went for an early morning walk with my Little One the other day around the block, but even though we live in the city, we still were able to find pretty maple leaves and even picked some miniature acorns for which I am very grateful. Have you ever tried making felt wool acorns or balls? It's so much fun! It's almost like therapy, a meditation because you can only focus on this tiny wet soapy piece of wool in your hands to get it right. I glued the acorn caps on top of these colourful balls and they look so cute. Mini Hug Me Mug by Robert Gordon is absolutely perfect for this little mug rug I finished the other day and for my autumn hot chocolate. It really feels so g-o-o-d to hug this little mug.


I went for the simple straight line quilting on the linen part of the rug, but instead of using two strands of quilting thread, I used only one strand of Gutermann Quilting Cotton Colour 3117. It's almost not noticeable, but it gives a lovely texture to the mat. Minimal details to bring out the sweetness of Belle and Boo fabric. Can you spot a butterfly, bunny and oak leaves? I made this mug rug much bigger than a coaster, but much smaller than a placemat. I always feel sorry that the design of the coaster is being covered by a mug and a placemat is too big to keep on my work desk, so I made sure to keep my favourite piece of fabric open and have enough room for a mug on this rug.


A little label patch with a felt leaf and a tiny piece of ribbon is something I cannot go without. I enjoy making those labels as much as seeing them on my makes. I believe that those particular small additions give a project a unique handmade look and turn it into a special gift made with love. This one I am keeping. I am wishing you a wonderful day full of love and joy! Thank you for stopping by! It's always lovely to see you here! Larisa xox


P.S.: A few years ago, me and my So Big Son worked out a perfect recipe for hot chocolate that we all enjoy. It's a bit time consuming to make, but sure thing it's delicious! Give it a try.

:: Hot Chocolate Our Way ::

150 ml milk
50g good-quality dark chocolate (70%cocoa solids)
1 tsp good-quality cocoa powder
1 tbs boiling water

1/4 cup thickened cream
1 tsp sugar
vanilla extract
cinnamon

In a small bowl beat cream, sugar and vanilla until thick. Keep it in the fridge.

Put cocoa powder in a small bowl and add boiling water. Mix well until smooth and creamy and there are no lumps. Pour milk in a small saucepan and heat it until just boiling. Switch off the heat and put chocolate in the saucepan, add the cocoa mix. Stir gently with a balloon whisk until the chocolate melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour hot chocolate in a cup, top it with cream and generously dust with cinnamon. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful post! It's the end of winter here but I so enjoyed your thoughts on autumn and seeing your beautiful makes! I have tons of raw fleece, dye and acorn caps just waiting to be made into tiny wooly acorns!☺
    ❤️ Lisa (@fairyartful)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, it's so lovely to see you here! :-) Thank you for stopping by and taking your time to comment. Even though it's Autumn, it still feels like summer some days. :-) Making these acorns is really addictive, but make sure to use pure wool. It's so much better! Enjoy the Spring time! xox

      Delete
  2. I love autumn as it means winter is coming. Unfortunately, we are heading into spring, which fills me with dread as the warm weather is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that, Dina. I am always happy during September and October and then slowly my mood changes and I dread almost every day. We have had quite a hot Summer this year and I am enjoying every breath of fresh cool air. Hope this Summer is not that bad for you. Thank you for popping in! xox

      Delete